
George Lakoff’s book has a lot of useful knowledge about where progressive political views stem from and was quite an eye opener for me. He also got a good handle on what it means to be conservative, compared to my previous political bent, but I took issue with some of his statements which seemed plausible but tainted with the bias expected from a book for progressives by a progressive.
I came away with some awesome insight, an example being the view that taxes can be seen as dues for living and prospering in America.
The main theme of the book is how things are framed when presented to the public which can persuade with words rather than straight facts; a theme I have come to view is prevalent in today’s social and political climate. Each person’s reality stems a great deal from perception.
I have doubts as to the differences between progressive and liberal; Lakoff uses them varyingly throughout the book.
If you view your self as a progressive, this book is a must read. He encourages the various factions of progressives to find a commonality within their frame of thinking.
For the independent, it is a great resource for consideration of differing viewpoints and how they are come by.
No comments:
Post a Comment